In today’s digital age, visuals play a pivotal role in the e-commerce landscape. The saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” has never been more relevant. Visuals are the heart of your online storefront, enticing customers and guiding their purchase decisions. As we look ahead to 2024, one prominent trend takes the spotlight: Keeping It Real. Our co-founder and CTO, Rich Summers, recently talked about the trend in a discussion with Pixelz and other experts on a webinar – here’s a quick recap of the trend:
The Importance of Product Visuals
Why do visuals matter so much in the world of e-commerce? Well, they are the first point of contact between a brand and its potential customers. When shoppers can’t physically touch, try, or examine a product, high-quality images are the closest they can get to the real thing. Therefore, it’s essential for brands to ensure that their product visuals are not only appealing but also genuinely representative of the product.
Consumer Expectations in 2024
As we enter 2024, consumer expectations are evolving, and authenticity is the name of the game. A prime example of this shift can be seen through viral TikTok content critiquing Zara’s e-commerce site. Videos such as ‘Zara online pictures vs real life’ and ‘pose like a Zara model’ have gained massive popularity. Consumers are quick to point out the unrealistic portrayal of products on Zara’s website. Some images are so vague that it’s nearly impossible to discern the actual product.
How Brands Can Keep It Real
- Keep It Real: Brands should ensure that their product images are clear, well-lit, and true to the actual product. Incorporating video to showcase different angles of the product can help customers gain a more realistic view.
- Product Demonstration: Provide insights into how the product works. For instance, if it’s a bag, offer details about its compartments and versatility. Can the straps be worn in multiple ways? These details help customers make more informed decisions.
- Styling Inspiration: Showcase the product in various settings and styles through influencer content, campaign images, cookbooks, and product photos. This enables customers to visualize how the product fits into their lives.
- ‘Instagram’ Tag Inspiration: Leverage content creators’ images from Instagram. Showcasing how “normal people” style the item in real life, in different body types and real-world settings, makes it easier for consumers to resonate with the product.
More Ways to Enhance E-commerce Product Photos
- User-Generated Content (UGC): Encourage customers to share their photos with your products. UGC not only boosts authenticity but also builds a sense of community around your brand.
- 360-Degree Views: Offer interactive images that allow customers to view the product from all angles, providing a more comprehensive look.
- Virtual Try-Ons: Implement augmented reality to let customers virtually try on clothing or accessories. This helps them visualize how the product will look on their own body.
- Lifestyle Imagery: Showcase your products in real-life situations. For example, display a dining table set with your kitchenware to help customers picture your products in their daily lives.
- Product Videos: Create short videos demonstrating the product’s features and benefits. Videos can engage customers and provide a better understanding of the product.
In the ever-evolving world of e-commerce, the “Keeping It Real” trend is a compass pointing brands in the direction of authenticity and transparency. In 2024, visual authenticity is more critical than ever, and brands that embrace this trend are likely to connect more effectively with their audience and succeed in the online retail space. As we move forward, it’s important to remember that authenticity is not just a trend; it’s the key to winning customers’ trust and loyalty.